Overcoming overthinking is a gradual process, that usually requires consistent effort and practice. Try some, or all of the things mentioned below, be patient with yourself and celebrate small wins along the way. If overthinking persists and significantly impacts your daily life, it may be beneficial to seek support from a therapist, coach or counsellor who can provide guidance and techniques tailored to your specific situation.
As an SME owner, overthinking could be extremely detrimental to your business. It really is something to avoid at all costs if you can but, if you’re already in the cycle of overthinking, what can you do?
Overcoming overthinking requires self-awareness and the implementation of strategies that manage and redirect your thoughts. Here are some techniques that can help you:
1. Recognise and Acknowledge Your Overthinking: The first step is to become aware of your overthinking tendencies. Notice when you are getting caught up in repetitive thoughts or excessive analysis. By acknowledging that you are overthinking, you can take proactive steps to address it.
2. Challenge Your Thoughts: When you catch yourself overthinking, challenge the thoughts and assumptions that are fueling it. Ask yourself if the thoughts are based on facts or if they are exaggerated or unhelpful. Replace negative or irrational thoughts with more realistic and balanced perspectives.
3. Set Boundaries: Establish boundaries around your thinking patterns. Designate specific times or limits for considering a decision or issue. Avoid dwelling on it beyond those designated periods. Give yourself permission to let go of the issue and redirect your attention to other, more enjoyable productive tasks or activities.
4. Practice Mindfulness: Engaging in mindfulness exercises can help you stay present and reduce overthinking. Practice techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or body scanning to ground yourself in the present moment and cultivate a sense of calm and clarity.
5. Distract Yourself: When you find yourself spiraling into overthinking, distract your mind with a different activity. Engage in hobbies, exercise, read a book, spend time with loved ones, or do anything that redirects your focus and helps you shift away from overthinking patterns.
6. Use Visualisation Techniques: Imagine placing your overthinking thoughts on a mental shelf or in a box, and visualise closing the lid. This visualisation can symbolize letting go of those thoughts and allowing yourself to move forward without being consumed by them.
7. Take Action: Overthinking often leads to inaction or delayed decision-making. Break this cycle by taking small steps toward your goals or making decisions based on the information available to you. Action can help break the pattern of rumination and create momentum.
8. Practice Self-Compassion: Be kind to yourself and practice self-compassion when you catch yourself overthinking. Remember that it is a common tendency and that you are not defined by your thoughts. Treat yourself with patience and understanding as you work on reducing overthinking.
Remember, overcoming overthinking is a gradual process, and it may require consistent effort and practice. Be patient with yourself and celebrate small victories along the way. If overthinking persists and significantly impacts your daily life, it may be beneficial to seek support from a therapist, coach or counsellor who can provide guidance and techniques tailored to your specific situation.
Would you like help to ‘Get comfy and confident on LinkedIn’ or to ‘Get your website looking and sounding like the real you’? Yes? Then book a chat directly in my diary. That way we can have a virtual coffee together to see if/how I might be able to help you. The call will cost you absolutely nothing, you’ll be under no obligation to do anything further AND I GUARANTEE you’ll get value from our call – otherwise I’ll pick up the tab for the virtual coffees 😂