A certain amount of fear can be a healthy way to stay ahead in business. But too much fear can stop you from being productive, creative and effective. The present moment is where your power lies. By practicing mindfulness, gratitude, and self-care, you can shift your focus away from the uncertainties about the future and find peace and clarity in the present.
Feeling fearful about the future is something even the most confident of us have to face from time to time. It’s not uncommon and if it’s only now and again, it’s not particularly worrying. But if you’ve got yourself to the stage where you’re crippled by fear about the future of your business, it’s time to get yourself in check.
Focusing on the present can be a powerful strategy for reducing fear and anxiety about the future. Here are some techniques to help you shift your focus to the present moment:
1. Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is the practice of being fully present and aware of the current moment. Engage in activities that promote mindfulness, such as meditation (and no, it doesn’t involve sitting cross legged with a tidy, clear brain), deep breathing exercises, or yoga. Even going for a walk in nature can be a mindful activity. These practices can help you ground yourself in the present and alleviate anxiety about the future.
2. Use grounding techniques: When fear starts to consume your thoughts, use grounding techniques to bring yourself back to the present moment. Focus on your senses by noticing what you see, hear, smell, taste, and touch. This can help anchor you in the present and divert your attention from future worries.
3. Practice gratitude: Cultivating gratitude can shift your focus to the positive aspects of your life and the present moment. Each day, take a few moments to reflect on and write down things you are grateful for. This practice can help reframe your mindset and reduce anxiety about the unknown future.
4. Engage in activities that bring you joy: Identify activities that you enjoy and that fully capture your attention. Whether it’s pursuing a hobby, spending time with loved ones, engaging in creative outlets, or immersing yourself in nature, find activities that bring you joy and help you stay present.
5. Break tasks into smaller steps: If you’re feeling overwhelmed about the future, break down your goals or tasks into smaller, actionable steps. Focus on what you can do in the present moment to move forward. By taking one step at a time, you’ll feel more in control and reduce anxiety about the unknown future.
6. Practice self-compassion: Be kind and gentle with yourself. Acknowledge your fears and concerns without judgment. Remember that it’s normal to feel anxious about the future, and you’re not alone in experiencing these emotions. Treat yourself with self-compassion and offer reassurance and encouragement.
7. Limit exposure to negative news and triggers: Constant exposure to negative news or triggers can heighten anxiety about the future. Consider setting boundaries and limiting your consumption of news and social media content that contributes to your fears. Instead, focus on positive and uplifting information that can help you stay grounded and optimistic.
Remember, the present moment is where your power lies. By practicing mindfulness, gratitude, and self-care, you can shift your focus away from the uncertainties of the future and find peace and clarity in the present.
Be kind to yourself. Do what you can to create a secure future and leave the rest to your higher power – whatever or whoever that may be 😉
Would you like help to ‘Get comfy and confident on LinkedIn’ or to ‘Get your website looking and sounding like the real you’? Yes? Then book a chat directly in my diary. That way we can have a virtual coffee together to see if/how I might be able to help you. The call will cost you absolutely nothing, you’ll be under no obligation to do anything further AND I GUARANTEE you’ll get value from our call – otherwise I’ll pick up the tab for the virtual coffees 😂