Adding a note to your LinkedIn connection request is a small action with substantial impact. It humanises your interaction, makes you memorable, and lays the foundation for authentic relationships. By taking the time to personalise your message, you’re not just sending a request – you’re extending a hand of friendship and professional growth.
In the realms of professional networking, LinkedIn is a powerhouse for forging meaningful connections. However, the real magic lies in personalisation and authenticity. Sending a connection request with a thoughtful note can set the stage for an impactful relationship and open doors to opportunities you might never have imagined. In this step-by-step guide, I’ll walk you through how to add a note to your LinkedIn connection request and explain why this small gesture holds immense importance.
Why Adding a Note is Important:
1. It humanises the connection request: A personalised note transforms your request from a mere digital interaction to a genuine human connection. It shows that you’re not just clicking buttons but actually taking the time to reach out.
2. It creates a memorable impression: Some people receive countless connection requests. A thoughtful note stands out and increases the likelihood of your request being accepted. It’s the first impression you make, and a positive one can lead to a fruitful relationship.
3. It demonstrates genuine interest: By sharing why you want to connect, you’re conveying that you’re genuinely interested in what they do and how they can contribute to your network.
4. It opens doors to opportunities: Meaningful connections that get off on the right foot can lead to countless opportunities, and valuable insights. A well-crafted note paves the way for these opportunities to flourish.
5. It builds trust: Personalisation builds trust. When you explain your intentions and establish common ground, you’re more likely to earn the trust of your new connection.
Here’s how to do it:
Step 1: Find the right profile
Log in to your LinkedIn account and navigate to the profile of the person you’d like to connect with. This could be a potential client or customer, a collaborator, an industry expert, or anyone you genuinely believe could add value to your network and vice versa.
Step 2: Click “Connect”
On the person’s profile, you’ll see a blue “Connect” button next to their profile picture. Click on this button to initiate the connection request process.
Step 3: Personalise your note
After clicking “Connect,” a pop-up window will appear. Here’s where the magic happens. Instead of simply sending a default connection request, click on “Add a note” beneath the person’s name. This is where you get to personalise your message.
Step 4: Craft your message
Now comes the most crucial part – composing your personalised message. Keep it genuine, concise, and specific. Mention how you came across their profile, any common interests or connections you share, or why you believe connecting would be mutually beneficial. Tailor your note to reflect your intentions and the value you bring to the connection.
Step 5: Explain the “Why”
In your note, briefly explain why you want to connect. Are you looking to learn from their expertise, explore potential collaborations, or simply broaden your industry network? Sharing your intentions not only adds context but also showcases your genuine interest in building a meaningful connection.
Step 6: Express your enthusiasm
Conclude your note by expressing your enthusiasm to connect and engage with them on LinkedIn. A positive and friendly tone goes a long way in establishing rapport.
Step 7: Send your connection request
Once you’ve crafted your personalised note, review it to ensure it accurately reflects your intentions. Then, hit the “Send” button. Your connection request, along with the attached note, will be sent to the individual.
Adding a note to your LinkedIn connection request is a small action with substantial impact. It humanises your interaction, makes you memorable, and lays the foundation for authentic relationships. By taking the time to personalise your message, you’re not just sending a request – you’re extending a hand of friendship and professional growth. So, the next time you’re about to connect with someone on LinkedIn, remember the power of personalisation and craft a note that sets the stage for remarkable connections.
Would you like help to ‘Get comfy and confident on LinkedIn’ or to ‘Get your website looking and sounding like the real you’? Yes? Then book a chat directly in my diary. That way we can have a virtual coffee together to see if/how I might be able to help you. The call will cost you absolutely nothing, you’ll be under no obligation to do anything further AND I GUARANTEE you’ll get value from our call – otherwise I’ll pick up the tab for the virtual coffees 😂